Today, we introduce another iStill Innovation: the Reflux Capacitor! The Reflux Capacitor increases the performance of your iStill. Wanna find out more? This post dives in deeper … say … back to the future kinda deep?
What it does
The iStill Reflux Capacitor boosts the ABV that enters your column. Higher proof gases lead to a more stable and faster run. The output rates increase with around 25%, translating to around 2 hour faster run times and/or a higher ABV, depending on what your goal is.
In column mode, the iStill produces at a fixed ABV or proof. During the run the yield per hour drops to compensate for an ever lower alcohol strength boiler charge. With the iStill Reflux Capacitor, the column is fed with higher proof alcohol, resulting in up to 25% more output and a related decrease in run time of up to two hours. Here is a graphical representation of the extra performance the Reflux Capacitor gives:
In potstills, the output in liters per hour is pretty stable. Contrary to column distilling, the ABV or proof gradually decreases during the run. In potstill mode, in combination with the Reflux Capacitor, the strength of the output of your iStill increases by around 25%, decreasing run times with 25%, while mitigating the need for an additional, second or double, distillation. Please see the graphical explanation underneath:
Especially combined with ABV Control (for more reading, see: https://istillblog.com/2019/02/22/innovation-abv-control/), the all new iStill Reflux Capacitor has huge benefits. Its applications? Here we go:
- Faster runs (up to 25%) in both column mode and potstill mode;
- Ultra-pure vodka and GNS hearts, with smaller heads and tails cuts;
- One distillation run on flavor rich products like brandy, rum, and whisk(e)y;
- No more need for double or 1.5 distillation approaches on flavor rich spirits;
- Instead, very efficient and taste rich single distillation approaches are now possible;
- Tails are pushed back, resulting in a bigger hearts yield;
- Further improved heads compaction;
- The Reflux Capacitor is made out of copper so it helps catalyze sulfur rich washes.
Roll-out and pricing
The new Reflux Capacitor can be ordered right now. We’ll add it to the iStill Online Design Center in the coming days. The Reflux Capacitor is available on all new orders for iStills 100, 500, 2000, and 5000. The Reflux Capacitor can be retrofitted to all NextGen iStills 500, 2000, and 5000.
The costs are as follows:
- iStill 100 Reflux Capacitor: EUR 250,-;
- iStill 500 Reflux Capacitor: EUR 450,-;
- iStill 2000 Reflux Capacitor: EUR 650,-;
- iStill 5000 Reflux Capacitor: EUR 850,-.
The Reflux Capacitor on the iStill 500 …
The graph is not good, since it does not indicate that the time is smaller but the total production of alcohol is greater, having the same time and a higher ABV. 🙂
You are completely right! The higher abv should reflect a shorter run time! I’ll see if I can amend later this week. Thanks!