Plans for tomorow

So I wanted to do a run on a turbo. With purifier on. Just to see how she runs.

But … the turbo ain’t ready yet. Turbo? Not what it used to be …

So what to do now? I plan on fractionating da sh*te out of a fourth generation sorta UJ. Only not based on corn. It is a wheat/rye hybrid. With the rye bit being Maillardized rye bread. Lots of taste. Maybe too much. I put part of it thru my old school CM fractionating rig. Gave me a hot tasting vodka. That darn rye bread just gives off too much taste!

How to proceed from here? I can try to give the new rig a turn. And see if she can turn it into a vodka better than my old CM rig could.  But how? By choosing the program with carbon filtration? Or by choosing the distillation program without filtering? Both will take heads & tails equally. But carbon filtering will/might have an effect.

What do you want? Let me know, and the approach that gets most votes … that’s what I will do.

Assembling the unit …

… takes about 2 hours and a half. But we took it leasurely.

Easy to put together? Yes, fool proof, because bolts are in pre-set places and connectors have unique colours.

Can it be done alone? Yes, but with two it is easier.

Is it well build, sturdy, purdy? Yes it is. My dad – former head or jet engine revisions at KLM/Dutch Airlines – joined in and was impressed. He is not a man that’s easily impressed, because he can do most things himself. And most of the time he can do it better.

Some pictures:

Building 8 Building 2 Building 3 Building 4 Building 5 Building 6 Building 7

From left to right and top to bottom:

– Selenoid valves “deciding’ between fores/heads and hearts and tails.

– Various parts

– iStill 50 under construction

– Funny guy showing of his new still

– Just find the right color …

– Water management system

– Ready!

And what do you do when it is ready? You plug it in, wait for it to start up and wish you a great day. And then you can do some tests. Testing the heating, the cooling, the selenoid valves, the step motor, the needle valve, etc.

Tomorow I will get some more hoses, to connect to the water management system. And then … a first run. I will keep you all posted! Hope my turbo wash fermentation keeps up with the speed of our operation.

Unpacking the column

How is the column packed? Not talking SPP here, but how has it been prepared for transportation? Or as a member of a homedistilling site put it: “will it survive a trip the USA?”

The outer skin of this beast from Poland is made of plastic. The material garbage bags are made of. To keep it water tight, I guess. Around three layers are wrapped around a carboard cilinder, holding the column.

Stop! Not the whole story! The actual column sits in the cardboard cilinder, but is wrapped in … bubbles? There must be a better English word for that. Again about two to three wraps.

Hey? What is this? It looks like I didn’t get a still, but rather … the thinner brother of … R2D2?

Okay, some more unveiling to do. I’ll be back. My thinking: the column is packed in a way that it could be shipped around the world without any problem. Three layers of plastic, than a cardboard cilinder, than two layers of bubbles. And the column is wrapped in some tight plastic foil after that.

Here too I had to delete the pictures. Sorry guys! I will try to make up with pictures in a later post. You will get a your tastings of SS porn!


The packages have arrived!

So here they are. Two packages from Poland. One has the column inside and maybe the SPP too. The other has the boiler and other stuff in. The column package weights around 7.5 to 8 kilo’s, the big square box is around 21 kilo’s. In total just under 30 kilo’s, I would guess.

First impressions are that is it neatly packed. Both protected from shocks as well as rain. So I have some other stuff to do, but as soon as that is done, I will open the package up to get a better insight.

Something went wrong when I took pictures of the packages. So I had to delete them. One cilinder for the already packed column. Another one with boiler and apendages.